The "museum island" in the Spreewald Museum Lehde includes a total of three homesteads with eleven estate and residential buildings which provide lively insights into the way of life of the Sorbian/Wendish population until the middle of the 19th century. Construction of the first Sorbian/Wendish open-air museum began in 1957. Everything which made the region and its inhabitants famous can be found within this small space. The large stable barn used to house cattle and horses. For some years now, it has been dedicated to the cucumber: cultivation, processing, conservation as well as Gurkus gigantus K., the largest cucumber in the world. This exhibition is rounded off by the small adjacent cucumber herb garden.
Foto: Mario Koch Fotografie